Northern Light


"Hello, and welcome to our church home; I hope it becomes yours as well.  I'm Jim Shipley, and am blessed to be the pastor of Northern Light Church.

When I once looked for a church home, it was very important to me to go beyond the meet-and-greet and find out more about the church:  what the pastor preaches, what the church holds as their belief system, and what I can expect to learn under the pastor's teaching.  I expect you feel the same, and this is why I have put this section together on our website.

I'd like to tell you what I love about our elegant church, which sits in a beautiful country setting.  Above all else, I love our people and the warmth in which they welcome guests.  I love that we are more like a family than a church, but still respect our visitors.  We know that some want to slip in and slip out, and others want to stay and chat over a bagel and coffee.  That's fine!  You won't feel "button-holed" as a "prospect" here.  Most importantly, we love to dig into the real meat of the Bible at "Northern Light," and that is a great deal of fun.  Lastly, but certainly not least, I love that we consider our church a spiritual hospital instead of a spiritual museum:  we are all here to non-judgmentally encourage each other to spiritual maturity.

The scriptural verse which is the impetus of our ministry is Philippians 3:10 stating in part; “That I may know Him, and the power of his resurrection…”  For what more could you ask? 



The strength of our pulpit is twofold: 

First of all, I preach and teach “The Saving Death” of Jesus Christ.  That is, that the Lord Jesus accomplished his death on the cross by offering His sinless blood (Acts 20:28) shed for the redemption of mankind.  His vicarious death assures that everyone’s past can be forgiven, and their future in heaven secured.  That is His “Saving Death.”  And “…whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.  (Rom 10:13) 

Secondly, I preach and teach, “The Saving Life” of Jesus Christ, in that “…he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures.” (I Corinthians 15:4)  With the “Saving Death of Christ” securing forgiveness of your past and heaven for your future, the hand-in-glove teaching of the “Saving Life of Christ,” equips you to experience now, in this life, the life of the risen Lord Jesus in the person of His indwelling Holy Spirit. (Romans 5:10; I Thess. 5:10) --- That is truly “good news!” 

If I were to know about a prospective church what you’ve just been told about “Northern Light,” I would determine to get there as soon as I could.    I personally need reality, not religion in my life.  I need and want that personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ that the Scriptures promise, and I trust you do too! (I John 5:10-13; I Thessalonians 5:10)  

As for more of what we believe, consider the following: 

1.  We believe the scripture which says that “in Adam all die (because of sin), even so in Christ shall all be made alive.” (I Corinthians 15:22) 

2.  We believe that both to “see” and “enter” into the internal and invisible present-tense Kingdom of God, “you must be born again.”   The scriptures teach that this is accomplished personally by receiving Christ into your life by invitation, not baptism, or any other sacramental work (John 3:5,7; Luke 17:20,21; Revelation 3:20; John 1:12; Ephesians 2:4-9).  

3.  We believe and teach that it is personally provable in your life, that “…I (Jesus) am come that (you) might have life and that (you) might have it 
more abundantly.” (John 10:10) The “abundant” life is the normal Christian life.  Are you living it?  We’ll teach you how.  It was said that “the children of Israel knew the works of God, but Moses knew His ways.” By God’s grace we will teach you “His ways” from scripture, should you so privilege us. 

4.  We believe that “All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is 
profitable (1) for doctrine, (2) for reproof, (3) for correction, (4) instruction in righteousness,” and that scripture has been preserved for us in the Authorized King James Bible (2 Timothy 3:16; Psalm 12:6-7).  At “Northern Light” you will learn everything in plain English, easy to be understood, and with the assurance that scripture will be the final authority on all matters of faith and practice. 

5.  For those of you that already understand prophetical theology, we believe and teach the Bible principles of the Pre-Tribulational rapture of the church and the Pre-Millennial return to the earth of the Lord Jesus Christ. 

6.  We are chartered as an independent Baptist church, believing that such a church most closely functions as a New Testament local church. 

I trust this brief sketch of who we are and what we believe will whet your appetite for our Bible believing fellowship.  We know the Lord Jesus has “friends” everywhere (John 15:15), but I am sure you’ll find “Northern Light” an unusually friendly church home. 

I look forward to meeting you. "

Pastor Shipley

Comments

Popular Posts